Friday, November 03, 2006

Post-Borat: Quivering in Ecstasy


Considering I was expecting to be let down, Borat pushed the limits of satisfaction. If you’ve been busy putting together a collage or knitting in your closet, you may have missed the countless TV appearances that Sacha Baron Cohen has made in the past few weeks. Hype for this film has been just as much or more ridiculous than that of Snakes on a Plane earlier this summer. Cohen, of course, never appears as himself, but instead remains in character at all times, apparently even after the camera shuts off. Instead, he’s used the same lines on every show on every channel. I didn’t laugh when I saw him on the Daily Show last night, and I didn’t laugh when he was on Fox News this morning when I walked into the office and passed by a co-worker’s TV. Same jokes. I wasn’t expecting much after all the hype and all these carbon-copy appearances.

I was absolutely wrong. This is by far the funniest movie I’ve seen since Dudley Moore starred in 10. Pure genius. I can’t tell you the scenarios or describe any of the sometimes painful situations because I don’t want to give anything away and ruin your movie experience. In all honesty, I’m pretty sure I could go see this again tonight and laugh just as much. Just as the media has been reporting, there are a lot of people in the film that are most likely very embarrassed right now. The guy at the rodeo won’t respond to phone calls from reporters, and I’m pretty sure that there’re a few South Carolina fraternity boys that are currently being expelled. Other than that, the only backlash from this movie will be the urine stain on your pants and the subsequent dry cleaning bill. As my good friend the Duke just told me, “I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard in a movie theater.” I completely agree. The last time I remember coming close was when Jeff Daniels was taking a very audible poo in Dumb and Dumber—I laughed a lot then, but not this much.

Sprint to the theaters and give Sacha Baron Cohen your money immediately! He deserves it and he needs it to make another movie. And damnit we need that movie (maybe this one or maybe this one will live up to the same glory). My life will forever be haunted by the image of Borat lying in bed in the dark clutching an axe-hammer in one hand and a wad of cash in the other. Thank God for that, or should I say Jesus?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home